kernel-devel: should yum install, not update?

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 16:54:26 UTC 2005

On Jan 22, 2005, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:03:39 -0800, Tom London <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Running latest rawhide.
>>
>> Yum seems to update the kernel-devel package.
>>
>> Should it be added to the default 'installonly' packages?

> probably... looking at the kernel-devel file payload it seems to be
> parallel installable by design. I think its perfectly reasonable to
> set this to parallel install by default instead of upgrade.

I don't think the default should be to have multiple versions of this
package installed.  Sure enough, some people might have need for them
all, but, unlike kernel and kernel-modules, this one serves no useful
purpose for most users, so I'd rather not see them piling up by
default.

Users with an actual need for multiple kernel-devel packages should be
able to tweak the tools to accomplish this.