RFC: Soname in rpm name

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jan 24 23:21:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 05:54:20PM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:40:43 +0100, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> > Not sure how this fits in here. These are valid points you make, but
> > they are valid for both the current and a soname-in-the-rpmname scheme
> > :)
>
> keeping the package the same name... regardless of the soname  means
> on distro upgrade
> the old version gets removed.  This works to expire an older library
> package but breaks externally build apps that need the old library.
> You want to keep those things from breaking and I want to expired libs
> off the system.  I would prefer to use the sonames in the packages as
> sparingly as possible.. to minimize the amount of deprecated libraries
> on system...until there is a solution to the larger question of how
> expiring of a package is suppose to work.

Already posted in different siblings of this thread and implemented at
ATrpms. Auto-expiring packages that should be disposed of if there is
no dependency on them should simply provide a fake dependency to hook
a garbage collector to.

The concept is solid, proven on various distros and even within the
Red Hat world at ATrpms.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net