RFC: Soname in rpm name

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jan 25 01:27:00 UTC 2005

> OK, neither will the soname-in-the-rpmname address this in any way,
> positive or negative, and as said the issue you raise is far more
> involved and w/o any good solution. The leaf detection would
> circumstantially help here, but that wouldn't be the main focus.

okay I'm going to throw out some silly ideas for gathering info on the
'age' of a package.

1. panu's leaf code - I've used it - it does turn up things that nothing
depends on and does it nicely.
2. look for shared objects in the filelists of the things turned up in 1
3. look for packages that have been untouched in > than N
days/months/years
4. look for packages whose build date is many many months ago.

None of these will get rid of every case - but it will help us identify
odd situations and left-over cruft.

thoughts?

-sv