RFC: Soname in rpm name

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 01:27:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:02:51 +0100, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> OK, neither will the soname-in-the-rpmname address this in any way,
> positive or negative, and as said the issue you raise is far more
> involved and w/o any good solution. The leaf detection would
> circumstantially help here, but that wouldn't be the main focus.

On the other hand   keeping packages the same name when an older
soname expires handles the case i bring up exceedingly well.   package
libfoo in fc3 provides libfoo.so.1   package libfoo in fc4 provides
libfoo.so.2. Upgrades from fc3 to fc4  and libfoo.so.1 is no longer on
the system.  Works like a charm at keeping unmaintained library
versions off the system. It works so well in fact.. that it almost
seems like it was a design goal for naming library packages without
sonames.

And thats the point I'm trying to make. Moving to a per soname when
its absolutely not needed has consquences for other aspects of
packaging.  As soon as the proponents for a soname-in-the-rpmname have
a workable proposed solution to the problem I bring up, I'll gladly
stop bringing it up.

-jef