grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 12:12:30 UTC 2005

On 01/26/2005 11:45 AM, Peter Backlund wrote:
> ons 2005-01-26 klockan 12:30 +0100 skrev Enrico Scholz:

>>>The controls are badly organised
>>
>>what would be the alternatives? Some Gnome UI crap where half of the
>>important options can be configured with regedit only?
>>
>>I looked at rhythmbox and it is catastrophic for simple music listening... a
>>huge window which requires at least the half of my screen width (the minimal
>>window size seems to be 670x293). No way to turn off the window title, no
>>'pause' control, no control to influence the position within the song, a
>>volume control where 3 small curves show the volume... As said... a typical
>>Gnome2 application which tries to follow blindly a UI guideline without
>>taking care about ergonomic.
>

> http://petrix.se/fedora/rb.png
>
> It has a pause button, it has a slider for controlling position in the
> songs, and the size of the window is 350x85.
>
> Pause and the slider do not appear until you play a song, which is in
> line with the UI guidelines.

Yet when the window is made very wide, slider does not take advantage of
additional space, it's fixed size :(

Also, rhythmbox freezes when I click any of the radio stations:
buffering displays for a second or two and the program freezes.

When I select "small display", only title bar is displayed, window
content is not there (this is the first app that does this sort of
thing, I use IceWM as my window manager).

Additionally usage paradigm of rhythmbox just does not "click" with me.

I installed Beep Media Player yesterday and used it for a day. So far
the only issue with it I have is removed "double feature", which makes
it (and all the buttons) really tiny on my 1600x1200 at 21" CRT and
1280x1024 at 17" LCD (96 dpi). It may be a good replacement for xmms
(although I still don't see why to seek for one ;-)

Regards,
Dariusz