grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Trond Eivind Glomsrød teg at pvv.org
Thu Jan 27 09:44:24 UTC 2005

Casper Pedersen wrote:

>> I think xmms is ugly, no matter what theme you put on it. RhythmBox is
>> at least organized in a nice way.
>>

> Depends on how you see it; xmms is nice, small, and might not be
> pretty, but it works. RythmBox is big and slow to use with very large
> collections of files, but it is pretty.

Personally, I think xmms looks better. It's plain, but displays what it
should and doesn't take a lot of screen estate. Rhythmbox is huge, looks
really ugly (not exactly itunes in that respect... it manages to be huge
and cluttered while not displaying much) and sloooooooow. When trying to
add my music collection (5000 songs or so... got way too many CDs), xmms
is finished in an instant. Rhythmbox just stays unresponsive for 30 mins
using all CPU, not displaying any progress or letting you do anything.
Then I just want my system back and puts it out of its misery.

Rhythmbox shouldn't displace better working alternatives until it has
gotten useful.