grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 18:14:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:38:55 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
> I beg to differ. I think this is a rather technical argument with
> zero user benefit. Even a trivial loss in usability (which clearly
> is the case here) can not be justified with a bit of HDD space saved.

Shrug..  if you want to look at everything from a very narrow user
perspective.. fine... but that's not the only perspective that have to
be considered as Core moves forward. There are rather technical
arguments and technical goals that will influence decisions, ignoring
this fact doesn't make it go away. Maintainability of the underlying
codebase is certaintly something that must be considered  as part of
this fast moving and forward looking project.  Its all about
trade-offs, and if bmp  has enough of xmms's functionality i think its
worth  be considering as a replacement xmms replacement IF working
towards removing gtk1 from Core is a long term goal.

> xmms is a much better player then rhythmbox IMO, and I don't give
> a $PROFANITY that it depends on gtk1. Not ideal, I agree, but not
> having it around would be a major loss of functionality from my POV.

This is why i suggested that someone who has used both xmms and bmp
(aka beep) comment about bmp's suitability as a replacement.

-jef"has anyone actually used bmp? I dont even use xmms anymore so I'm
not in a position to compare"spaleta