grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Jan 27 19:21:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 06:26:05PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> The non-latin support of gtk2 (vs gtk1) alone is a clear user benefit.
> So this is *very* far from an abstract argument with no tangible end-
> user incidence.

I don't dispute that. But this is all tangential to the main purpose
of the freaking thing: to play music. You can get me the best non-latin
support, perfect HIG compliance, etc. but it it doesn't do a good job
playing music, it can't replace xmms.

And by now it's painfully obvious that rhythmbox is not, by any measure,
an acceptable alternative. It works for some, but it's far from working
for all. As such, it's just a bad idea to remove xmms at this point.
So what are we debating here?

--
Dimi.