redhat abe

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Jan 28 12:28:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >  new repodata format)
> IMO, this is more a matter of politics and willingness, but a technical
> requirement.
>
> Technically, I don't see any need for apt to adopt yum's repodata
> format. Politically, this requirement is introduced by RH not wanting to
> add apt-repositories and fedora.us apparently being unable to set up
> complete repositories. If apt-repositories are cleverly set up, the
> additional overhead they introduce in addition to the original files
> becomes more or less negligible.

Well, generating repositories demands a lot of a system. Generating 3
different repositories (apt, old-yum, new-yum) is really becoming an
issue and prevents me from releasing updates flexibly. If I have to wait
30 to 45 minutes before I can starting syncing with a mirror, I delay that
sometimes until the next time I'm online which could be 24h later.

You have to know that I refuse to work with passphrase-less keys, so
signing and syncing is an interactive step and requires my attention.

> BTW: Even SuSE is available with apt. I wonder why they don't have the
> multilib issue - I guess they don't ship multilibs :)

Afaik, they rename the packages.