grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:20:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:28:29 -0800, Jamie Zawinski <jwz at jwz.org> wrote:
>1) The fact that it does not have a "double size" option is pretty
>    much a showstopper, because I can't read a damned thing on that
>    sub-postage-stamp-sized window.

I Personally don't consider this a showstopper, but it would be
interesting to know if the bmp developers have this feature or similar
functionality on their development roadmap.

>   2) Perhaps I could fix this by wasting hours finding a less horrid
>      theme to use but A) in five minutes of clicking and googling, I
>      didn't see any easy-to-find collection of BMP themes, and
>      B) I'd really really rather claw out my eyes than dig through
>      those anyway.  (Can someone recommend one that isn't totally
>      'l33t and awful?)

bmp's website has a menu entry for skins  here's the url
http://www.sosdg.org/~larne/w/Skins
I think bmp is designed to use most if not all of the available xmms
themes out there. So pick your fav xmms theme and drop it into bmp's
Skins directory.   And the 'default is crap' issue is a red herring,
because "if" its going to be re-packaged for core, I'm sure the
bluecurve xmms theme core is now using would be used for bmp... which
works just fine for bmp from what i can tell.

>   3) and this may be related to "1: can't read the window", I couldn't
>      figure out how to play an Icecast stream at all.  xmms has
>      "Play Location" on the menu, BMP does not.  Perhaps if I could
>      read the window, the answer would be obvious, but I can't so it's
>      not.

At the moment this is available functionality in the playlist window,
as an 'add' option. We'd have to peek into bmp development discussions
to see if there are plans and interest to place this functionality
back into the

>   4) "BMP" is a monumentally stupid name (hey, let's name the MP3
>      player "JPEG"!) and "beep-media-player" is both dumb and too much
>      typing.

No Comment.

-jef