grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Fri Jan 28 15:44:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 08:25 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Rahul Sundaram <rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in> said:
> > I do.  Fedora core should only include one default
> > program for each kind of task overall. there might be
> > a few exceptions like including say nano as well as
> > vim but having 5 different browsers and calling in
> > fedora "core" doesnt make any sense at all
>
> The #1 objective of Fedora Core is "Create a complete general-purpose
> operating system with capabilities equivalent to competing operating
> systems".  There is _nothing_ in the objectives about providing a
> minimal OS that pushes all the optional packages to Fedora Extras.

Right.  "Operating System."  XMMS is not part of an OS, it's an
application that nobody strictly needs.  You don't need to put XMMS in
Fedora Core in order for Core to use or run XMMS, and its removal will
not reduce Core's audio capabilities in the least.

> It seems that a lot is being read into the word "Core" in the
> distribution that is not meant (at least according to the Fedora
> website).
>
> It also seems that some people want to push every package they don't
> personally use 20 times a day to Extras, despite the fact that many
> others use those packages and that there are not always good
> alternatives in the distribution.

Quite a few of us would like to see software we do personally use pushed
to Extras.  I use Epiphany over Firefox, for example, but if Firefox is
the official Fedora Browser, then I want Epiphany in Extras.  That would
in no way stop me from using Epiphany, since I could just install it
from Extras.  The impact on my life by moving Epiphany is essentially
nil, but it does result in a smaller, leaner, easier to manage, faster
to download _Operating System_ for others.