repository creation

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Mon Jan 31 07:57:07 UTC 2005

> But the only way you're going to know if the debuginfo items are there
> is by reading through all of the debuginfo metadata.
>
> so it's a net loss for users who for I'd be willing to wager >95% of the
> time do not EVER use debuginfo rpms.
>
> and for the 5% of the time they need them they can simply do:
>  yum --enablerepo=base-debug install foo-debuginfo
>
> you're cutting off a lot of packages.
>
> Also - are you -1'ing the whole idea or just the idea as regards
> debuginfo packages? We can save a lot of data by pruning out src.rpms.

I think it is correct to move src.rpms and debuginfo out of the default
path. Instead of moving this to the user to enable/disable it, I thought
to use differently named files within the repodata.
All information about src.rpms goes to new filenames and you can trigger
reading in the debuginfo files if a "*-debuginfo" package name is needed.

This puts the namespace question to the repodata and is adding special
interpretation to rpm package names ("*-debuginfo"), but tries to get
all this more transparent to the user compared to offering this via
configured repo locations.

?? Both ways have their pros and cons.

greetings,

Florian La Roche