repository creation

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Mon Jan 31 08:27:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:32:04AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > I think it is correct to move src.rpms and debuginfo out of the default
> > path. Instead of moving this to the user to enable/disable it, I thought
> > to use differently named files within the repodata.
> > All information about src.rpms goes to new filenames and you can trigger
> > reading in the debuginfo files if a "*-debuginfo" package name is needed.
> >
> > This puts the namespace question to the repodata and is adding special
> > interpretation to rpm package names ("*-debuginfo"), but tries to get
> > all this more transparent to the user compared to offering this via
> > configured repo locations.
> >
> > ?? Both ways have their pros and cons.
>
> The con of doing it the way you're describing is that it implicitly
> dictates something about the repository structure. Not sure I like that.

Hmmm, having a full repo, but then only enabling it for yum if actually
*-debuginfo packages are installed would be the same as moving the data
out to different files. So a "maybe use this repo" based on *-debuginfo
is something to look at?

> But i see your point about having them magically enabled. The only
> problem is that for depsolving it doesn't make it much easier.

But that's what we try to achieve, right? It better should do so...

greetings,

Florian La Roche