grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Jan 31 19:56:11 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> said:
> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 13:42 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > With all the discussion that rhythmbox makes xmms unneeded (so it should
> > be removed from Core), why do we also have Helix Player in Core (or is
> > Helix Player supposed to replace rhythmbox and xmms)?
>
> Helix and Rhythmbox are pretty different.

Rhythmbox and xmms are pretty different as well.

> > Is it possible to
> > add plugins to Helix Player to get MP3 (and other format) support as
> > easily as for rhythmbox and xmms?
>
> Not as far as I know.

Hmm, dumb question then: why is Helix Player listed as the default MP3
application?

I tried to do a little research on Helix Player, but the website appears
to be down right now.  It would be nice if dropping in a plugin of some
type was all it took to add MP3 (and Real) support.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>