xen, how to boot a 2.4 kernel distro in FC4

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 12:18:56 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:18:21PM +0200, Bob Deblier wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 11:37 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Can someone please help to find a way, while also getting an
> > understanding as to how to boot a 2.4 kernel distro, in my case rhel
> > 3, as domU under the 2.6 kernel dom0 from FC4.
> >
> > I'm having problems. Basically I initially though that running a Xen
> > kernel would allow me to boot any os as a domU no matter what their
> > kernel was, but I think I have been mistaken with this. I am running

  No it's not that simple. You would have to compile that 2.4 kernel
to work with Xen. It's is not a matter of just tweaking a config file !

> > into problem while booting this.
> >
> > I would really appreciate any help provided.
>
> As I've mentioned before: the guest OS, i.e. the one running as a domU,
> also needs a specially compiled kernel. See
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq#head-bb579ddda3999d87064a36b7d847fad8e39440ae
>
> This is because Xen is a paravirtualizer instead of a full virtualizer,
> like VMware.

  Until Xen3 and the new generation of Intel and AMD CPU offering hardware
support. Check the roadmap for Xen3 at the bottom of

    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/architecture.html

> Wouldn't it be better to ask questions like this on the xen-users list?
> The lack of responses here seems to indicate a general lack of knowledge
> in this topic...

  The suggestion is good, but it's not there is lack of knowledge, rather
that it's 1/ hard 2/ work on old code 3/ would break his RHEL3 support anyway
and there is just too many thing to do to get Xen working smoothly on
the current kernel that nobody has time to waste on playing with 2.4

Daniel