Fedora Core 5 Idea

Emmanuel Seyman seyman at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jul 1 13:43:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 03:14:24PM +0300, Ovidiu Lixandru wrote:

> >I too think that binary drivers are a waste of developers' time.
>
> Why should you care, is it FC's developers' time?

Yes, it is.

Mike Harris has to spend time explaining to users that he can't fix bugs
in the nvidia driver because he hasn't got the source code. Kernel hackers
have to waste their time with crashes from tainted kernels. In the long
run, all of this adds up and it's time that could be used for better things.

> Are they cr*p? Have a look at ATI's, thank you.

No thanks. I brought an ATI card because the XFree86/Xorg drivers had
good 3D support for them. The whole point was to avoid binary drivers,
to begin with.

Emmanuel