Fedora Core 5 Idea -- let's drop this ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jul 4 01:33:06 UTC 2005

From: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
> Matrox, but their 3D performance isn't at the same level as ATI or
> nVidia.

Umm, last time I checked, Matrox's GLX drivers were _proprietary_ too.
They just don't have the Intel-nVidia Trade Secret memory interface that
requires the kernel module.

The UtahGLX for Matrox leaves much to be desired (as with the ATI,
although not quite as bad).

From: Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
> Also the Intel integrated chipsets.

Capable of running Tux Racer is not a good test.  Intel's GLX is rather
pathetic in features -- like an order of magnitude.

FRANKLY, I _TIRE_ OF THESE THREADS.

I know it starts off with someone questioning why Fedora doesn't support
nVidia's Standardware (Open Standard, Closed Source) "nvidia" driver.
And I don't blame many in the Fedora team taking offense to the
suggestion.  I think there should be a "standard response" adopted, and
the _known_ fact that it will _not_ be discussed.  That would go a long
way to getting people to be more understanding of the technical fact why
the Fedora Project can and will do _nothing_ to support people who use
the "nvidia" driver.

On the other hand, I _tire_ of some of the more almost "bigotry-like"
and quite _wholly_inaccurate_ responses I do see from Fedora volunteers.
Some of the technical comments are just wholly _incorrect_, and that's
why I got involved the last time this thread came around.  Especially
the "praise" of ATI who is _just_as_proprietary_ on 3D as of R300+ (and
even more so on their 2D because of all the motion video capabilities of
their GPUs).

To re-iterate ...
I really think a "standard response" is needed when people bring it up.

Especially when a lot of the responses people are making who are part of
the Fedora Project on nVidia could almost be considered "libelous" in
nature -- let alone it personally pisses me off to see the technical
ignorance as an engineer.  You can dislike nVidia and make many
statements that are accurate.  But some of the technically _in_accurate
statements are not only unfair to nVidia, but some of the blind "vendor
loyalty" around here is just a joke if you actually _knew_ something
about ATI, Matrox, etc... and their similarities to nVidia.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->