Fedora Core 5 Idea -- let's drop this ...

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 5 04:27:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, July 4, 2005 12:24 pm, Bryan J. Smith said:
> From: Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com>
>> Then stop discussing it.
>
> Ummm ... that was my _only_ post in this thread!
> I don't think my disgust for this thread is any less than yours.
> So don't blame me.  ;->
>
> The last time this came up, I finally said something when some people
> would not end their technical ignorance.  Then I got chastized or
> demonized for merely pointing out that the responses were just as bad as
> the request.  Which is why I stated out of this thread.
>
> Again, while I also don't believe the Fedora team should have to deal
> with this request, I also don't think some people on the Fedora team
> don't have to make technical statements which just aren't true, and more
> politically-aligned assumptions.
>
> So, once again, I think it's about time that there is a "standard
> response" on this issue, and whenever it comes up again, that is _all_
> the team gives.  Because the level of bigotry and non-truth in some of
> the responses is just disgusting.
>
> Almost as bad as the original requests.

Your love affair with nVidia is all well and good and your cheerleading
for them is okay for your own needs.  However, supporting binary drivers
just doesn't help move open source solutions ahead.   We need more people
to stand up and support open source drivers, especially since they're good
enough already for the vast majority of uses.

If Intel or someone else gets extra business via their open source
offerings it will put a little extra pressure on those in the industry who
refuse to do so.   We already lost ATI supported open source drivers,
quite possibly because so many fanboys went around supporting nVidia
afterward and saying binary drivers were just as good as open source.

We need more people who believe in open source to stand up and spread the
word and not listen to all the nVidia fan boys so much.

Sean