Fedora Core 5 Idea -- let's drop this ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jul 5 06:41:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 01:24 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> God damn can't people stop and not make it about "versus" and
> "draw a line in the sand?"  Especially when they don't know
> what they are drawing the line about?!

I really mean this ... it seems like "double" or even "triple"
standards are applied to some vendors, and the presumed "support"
of so-called "open source."

ATI (as of the R300+) has turned into an even more proprietary vendor
than nVidia in many respects.  Matrox never really supported anything
but their proprietary drivers, and even support of those has waned
more recently.

Now if people could actually "nail down" a set of "criteria" to say
"oh, you're helping open source" then I'd actually be more "open"
to this whole "debate."

But to date, that has _not_ happened.  It's been general assumptions,
general "oh, now we're talking brand X, instead of brand Y, so brand
X has line A we hold them against, instead of the normal line B we
hold brand Y against."

And worst of all, because I'm the stupid schmuck that actually tried
to explain some things in the last thread, I'm now labeled a "nVidia
cheerleader."  Man, it's funny, but I'm actually quite the _opposite_.
I only tried to take the time to explain different things in a
enough to the point where people like yourself were stating half-
truths and false assumptions.

If someone has a support question, and it is about something that
the Fedora Team cannot support, just leave it at Rahul's link -- and
not some poor attempt at an advocacy campaign that doesn't even have
a well-defined set of criteria.

But if you really find you need to attempt to do so, then by all
means, go ahead.  Try to make the ATI, Matrox, etc... square peg
fit in the round open source hole -- because if I think you start
holding _all_ vendors to the _same_ criteria, you're going to be
quite disappointed.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->