e: Fedora Core 5 Idea -- let's drop this ...

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 15:05:12 UTC 2005

Sean wrote:
> Huh?  You're reading something between the lines that just isn't there.

Dude, don't even go there.  You have continually been making statements
like:

  "We _really_ need people who care about open source to stop
   spreading the notion that there is no alternative to nVidia."

You have been doing it for _weeks_ now.  You have singlehandedly made
it about *1* company, which is _just_as_bad_ as the original requestors.
That's been my _sole_point_.

Damn me for previously actually explaining why nVidia is the only
solution for _some_ people.  I _never_ said there is "no alternative,"
and I am definitely _not_ a nVidia "cheerleader."  But for some people,
they can and will use nVidia, as well as ATI's proprietary source drivers,
as well as Matrox's proprietary source drivers, etc...

You have continued to _demonize_ things, and in many cases, interject
_false_ technical information, along with a few, select others.  This is
the problem with most "agendas," they tend to go past fact and into
false assumptions for political reasons, not technical reality.

That's the _only_ "problem" I've had.

> Anyway, let's do as Rahul asked before your first post on this thread,
> and let it go.

Actually, I was the one that use the phrase "let it go," shortly after
Rahul's.  I futher refined that into coming up with a standard response
with Rahul most excellently delivered, and I think that does the job.

Now I don't have any "weight" here, and I don't assume to have any
either.  But I've seen other people who aren't exactly "contributors"
throwing their weight, history and other credentials around, and
doing it a way that I would consider borderline "bigotry" (and
depending on how far people have been "explaining" things, some
might even qualify as "libel" but I doubt nVidia cares at this point)
on holding nVidia to one standard, but other companies to another.

And that would include yourself -- very much so -- because you have
singlehandedly associated "proprietary" with _only_ nVidia, and even
gone so far to stretch the notion to blame even ATI's moves on nVidia,
when the reasons were quite different.  ATI closed up the specifications
for many reasons (several of my good colleagues that I used to work
with in the semiconductor industry are now at ATI).

I think Rahul hit-it-on-the-nose with his post:
> Would people stop discussing merits and demerits of particular
> brands of video cards and their drivers and market share in the
> Fedora development list. This is definitely off topic for this list.
> Kindly stop

Now at what point do you concede you are one of the biggest
hypocrites with regards to this response to me, given the context
I, Rahul and others have made?

Oh, nevermind, I forgot I was an nVidia cheerleader, so I might be
one of the people that are hurting open source.

Bigotry starts with labeling and intolerance driven by an agenda.
Again, I am so damn sorry I tried to explain things earlier from a
"middle ground," all while saying the Fedora Project should _never_
support proprietary source drivers, I have _never_ said otherwise.

You, however, seem to be solely fixated on nVidia.  While you
might claim that is the issue, because of your frustration with
others who buy nVidia's product and use nVidia's drivers while
seeking support here, it does _not_ mean you can blame nVidia
for it all, and make statements that just are _not_ true.  Be
objective, be considerate and stop the "reverse agenda," because
you too are making very vendor-blind statements.  ;->

And don't assume we all use nVidia's drivers, or only buy nVidia
products.  I only use their products+drivers if I absolutely need
them for an applpication today, and cannot wait 3-5 years.  And
_no_, it is _not_ for gaming.  Otherwise I typically go with Intel,
rewarding them for their efforts, or just use the MIT X11 "nv"
driver with the UtahGLX for older nVidia products that work well
enough.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org