Having a copy of .torrent in the /iso dir

Nicholas Miell nmiell at comcast.net
Tue Jul 5 21:11:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 17:02 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 7/5/05, Nicholas Miell <nmiell at comcast.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thats very short sighted. Not everyone lives on a network that is
> > > friendly to torrent activity.
> >
> > They can wait a week.
>
> But the won't wait. Just like the god damn morons who sneak out a
> torrent from an unlocked mirrors don't wait.  As soon as its in the
> wild in any way shape or form.. people are going to mirror it in a way
> that works best for them.  That means rsync and ftp and http mirrors
> will spring up as soon as possible to fill the need.

Why is this bad?

> People CAN
> CHOOSE to use the torrent right now. People aren't CHOOSING to do
> that. If the torrent was clearly the best option for the majority of
> the userbase... we wouldn't see the mirrors being hammered on release
> day.  I think people need to stop trying to force the torrent to be
> the one-true  distribution technology.

Perhaps they aren't using the torrent because they either don't know
about it or they are lazy.

> > Those admins can set access controls on their FTP servers.
>
> So its not really a staggered release then is it... if mirror admins
> can individual choose to wait or not... you haven't really
> accomplished much.

A staggered release to the general public. If the admin at a .edu wants
to allow their institution access to their local mirror in order to cut
down on external bandwidth, there's no reason to stop them from doing so
after the official general BitTorrent release.

> > That's OK for them, the purpose of this exercise is to decrease the
> > stress on official mirrors, not prevent the propagation of Fedora.
>
> Or perhaps, it would just inspire official mirrors from delisting from
> the official list in order to be free to open the tree for the segment
> of the userbase they are most concerned with serving. How effective is
> that torrent seed based in the US ... compared to a mirror in
> australia.. if you are living in australia ... on that first day of
> release or the second day of the release?  Hmmm?

.au allowing access to .au isn't much different from a .edu allowing
internal access.

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell at comcast.net>