weird representation for FFFD

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 6 15:27:14 UTC 2005

On Lun 27 juin 2005 17:38, P at draigBrady.com wrote:
> Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>> Στις 27/Ιούν/2005, ημέρα ΔεÏ
τέρα και ώρα
>> 14:33, ο/η P at draigBrady.com
>> έγραψε:
>>
>>>On my fedora core 3 gnome desktop,
>>>I get a weird representation for U+FFFD.
>>>Here's what it looks like for you [�].
>>>
>>>It's the "REPLACEMENT CHARACTER", and according
>>>to the following should be question mark enclosed
>>>in a solid diamond: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFFF0.pdf
>>>I've been told that this is also the representation
>>>on windows and OSX.
>>>
>>>However I'm getting a weird comma like thing, which
>>>Markus Kuhn _has_ made reference to here I think:
>>>http://www.w3.org/2001/06/utf-8-wrong/UTF-8-test.html
>>>In the gnome charmap applet it seems to be the nimbus
>>>and schoolbook (sans and serif) fallback fonts that have
>>>this weird representation. The (Misc) Fixed fonts
>>>do have the question mark as expected.
>>>
>>>So why this weird representation?
>>>I'm writing an app where I would like to display
>>>characters that are invalid in the current encoding,
>>>and the comma like thing it totally confusing for users.
>>

>> Hi,
>> On my system (FC2), gucharmap says it's FreeSans.
>> Doesn't FC3 have FreeSans/FreeSerif/FreeMono?
>
> Right so bitstream-vera doesn't even have the FFFD char,
> and the fallback nimbus has this weird comma like thing.
>
> I don't think freefont is part of fedora.

dejavu just made it in fedora extras. Does it have the same problem ?
(if the answer is yes the dejavu people seem to fix their fonts pretty
fast - just make them release a fixed version and I'll respin the dejavu
package)

As for freefont I've never used it. If it's not a Vera derivative and is
half decent I may be coaxed into packaging it for FE. Otherwise I've
already decided dejavu is the only project that is trying hard to merge
all the Vera variants in an open way so I won't push any other
Vera-derivative in FE now.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot