eclipse-pydev and bundled pylint

Konstantin Ryabitsev mricon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 19:13:31 UTC 2005

On 06/07/05, Jeff Pound <jpound at redhat.com> wrote:
> The upstream Pydev project (http://pydev.sf.net) includes a few
> third-party packages including pylint. Using the system installed pylint
> would be ideal but it would require maintaining a forked version of
> pydev in sync with the upstream releases. If you think it's worthwhile
> to pursue, you should file a bug against the upstream pydev to have them
> use separate packages for third party apps, and have pydev configurable
> for these apps.

Hmm... well, it's actually not uncommon for projects to bundle various
libraries with the distribution, for various misguided "convenience"
reasons. Is it difficult to modify the package to let it make use of
the globally installed pylint? I mean, if Fedora is to ship pylint,
it's best to let it be globally available to other projects as well.

The same goes for pychecker, which is actually already in Core, so
there is already duplication between the two packages.

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Zlotniks, INC

"Выслухаў мядзьведзь казку і адарваў сабе хвост."