No more right click terminal

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jul 12 04:43:32 UTC 2005

> I would really like to open this up to the discussion for the users and
> developers of Fedora.  This feature is very ingrained in a lot of our
> muscle memories, deeply embedded in our internal and external
> documentation for not just end users but entry level admins, group
> admins, and a myriad of folks that really do have a use for the
> terminal.  Sure you can just as easily get to it by selecting it from a
> menu, so that actually goes in my favor.  If we're trying to 'protect'
> the user, why have it in the menu at all?  If the end user that Gnome
> seems to care about won't notice, why not leave it so that the people
> who have a clue and have the capability of helping out don't get pissed
> off by yet another 'lets break history in favor of some "usability" we
> think is right for the fabled holy grail of an end user'.
>
> This is yet another move in a long history of Gnome moves that makes me
> wish somebody forked gnome a while ago and removed all these stupid
> 'save the end user from themselves' changes.  For god sakes, make a 'end
> user safe' UI that has all these things in it, and then make a 'real
> user' UI that actually allows work to be done in the way that it has
> been done for years.

it's not about making it safe, not in every case. It is about
simplifying the applications. There's a lot to it - but having items on
hidden menus is, in general, a bad idea.

But if you want to affect change in this area please join the
desktop-devel-list for gnome and discuss it. But bringing it up as a
fedora-devel issue isn't really going to help.

-sv