No more right click terminal

Bryan Clark bclark at redhat.com
Tue Jul 12 05:49:40 UTC 2005

> > This new project gives you the option to open a terminal in any nautilus
> > window instead of just on the desktop.  The desktop menu will open a
> > terminal just like it did before.  However when you open a terminal from
> > nautilus window showing "~/folder-x/folder-y/" your terminal will be
> > opened to the same directory.  This is something new that I think makes
> > this option even better.
>
> By "Desktop Menu" do you mean right-click, or do you mean the main menu
> thing then system tools, and finally terminal?

Yes, go ahead and try it out.

> Just out of idle curiosity (or maybe not so idle) how many lines of code
> is it really to add one more item to the default desktop right click
> context menu?  Is it not something that can be modified or extended on a
> live system w/out a complete gnome or nautilus recompile?  Which system
> is it that drives the context menu? Gnome or Nautilus or Metacity
> or.... ?

AFAIK it's nautilus that drives this, the beauty and perhaps the danger
of this is that you could open up any thing you wanted from something
like this.

A lot of this is boiler-plate code, there really isn't too much to this.
And there are python bindings to do all this too, however I don't know
if we package those either.

[clarkbw at rhbw src]$ wc *.c *.h
  314   737  8064 nautilus-open-terminal.c
   58   206  1583 open-terminal.c
   55   223  1853 nautilus-open-terminal.h
  427  1166 11500 total

Cheers,