rawhide report: 20050711 changes

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Jul 12 13:54:56 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> said:
> Is the action you are doing in a terminal.. simply because you are use
> to the cmdline.. and refuse to actually use the desktop components?  I
> know i open a terminal simply because I'm use to driving around my
> filesystem in bash. This is not however something I expect normal
> people to want to do.

I use the terminal because I spend a significant amount of my time
remotely accessing other systems and devices.  And while Juniper has a
web GUI that looks somewhat useful (on the J series anyway), Cisco's is
horrible and buggy.  Tru64's web GUI is weird (and in my servers,
disabled), I never tried the one on Solaris, and RHEL doesn't have one,
so I'll be using a terminal constantly for the foreseeable future.

Remember, the terminal is not just for local access; it is also pretty
much a requirement for many types of remote access (telnet/SSH and
serial console).  There is nothing you can do with a local desktop to
replace that need.

However, I don't use right-click to get a terminal.  I add a panel
button for xterm (not gnome-terminal) and set my default desktop up to
include 2 tall xterms at login.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>