No more right click terminal

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Tue Jul 12 14:13:30 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:

>I would really like to open this up to the discussion for the users and
>developers of Fedora.  This feature is very ingrained in a lot of our
>muscle memories, deeply embedded in our internal and external
>documentation for not just end users but entry level admins, group
>admins, and a myriad of folks that really do have a use for the
>terminal.  Sure you can just as easily get to it by selecting it from a
>menu, so that actually goes in my favor.  If we're trying to 'protect'
>the user, why have it in the menu at all?  If the end user that Gnome
>seems to care about won't notice, why not leave it so that the people
>who have a clue and have the capability of helping out don't get pissed
>off by yet another 'lets break history in favor of some "usability" we
>think is right for the fabled holy grail of an end user'.

    A general complaint I've had about 'desktop-oriented' Linux
distributions is that the GUI tries to push people into half-baked GUI
apps and discourage people from opening a terminal window,  which is
usually easier to use because there are fewer bugs in the command line
programs -- I've got an older machine where my usual way of getting an
xterm is Alt-F2 "xterm".

    Given that FC is a distribution aimed at Linux enthusiasts,  and not
a 'windows-killer' aimed at novices,  I think the command line should be
getting more real estate on the screen,  not less.