rawhide report: 20050711 changes

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Jul 12 15:43:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 11:17 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I don't really think opening any specific app being it a terminal or
> xchat or a web browser or email or whatever... is inherently a
> "desktop" operation.  If the desktop is suppose have an open terminal
> item in its context menu..

The desktop is actually a means of interfacing the computer.
The same way I usually type nautilus /some/path, sometimes, I also like
to be able to quickly call up a terminal (another means of interfacing
the computer) and which is the quicker (Fitt's law) way to do it than
the 5th main pointer coordinate (the current pointer coordinate)?

> then my web browser  could also have an

The web browser is a means of interacting with the web. Some web
browsers have support for file:// but's merely an accidental support.

> Then use the menus or set the keyboard binding to launch the terminal.
> There's no reason that "powerful" commands need to be accessible via
> the desktop context menu... by default.

There's a huge reason to do this, along with NOT USING ~/Desktop but
$HOME as the desktop.

COHERENCE

Like the shell shows you $HOME by default, so should the Desktop.

It is so much simpler...

Rui
+ So let's do it...?