Cutting Edge

OmniUni omniuni at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 20:55:07 UTC 2005

Looking over the recent editions of this list, I have noticed that in many
respects, fedora development is stuck in the past.

Fedora Core is supposed to be a cutting edge distro, and for the most part,
it is. As a community, however, we must not be afraid to bring up new ideas
to a distribution with so much a standardized history. For Fedora to remain
cutting edge, it must be willing to change. I am a KDE user, and I am
because I find it easier, faster, lighter, more stable, more friendly, more
cusomizable, more elegant, and more powerful than GNOME. Will this change?
perhaps. I used to like GNOME better, but that changed when Sawfish changed
to Metacity. (around RHL 7.3-- 8.0 was metacity) Will requesting that Fedora
become KDE based instead of GNOME based be likely to make a major impact
here? no. Is it important that I request? yes. I do so, because it alerts
the developers to views of Feora Core's users. OpenSource must be about Open
Minds as well as free software. I am up to a lively discussion about KDE vs.
GNOME, and a friendly reminder that GNOME must remain the focus of Fedora
Core for now, but I certainly hope that I will not get any responses that
look down upon me for expressing my views.

-OmniUni at gmail.com