libifp and the new udev (was: Re: PCMCIA & udev changes)

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 14 21:16:13 UTC 2005

> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams (ivazquez at ivazquez.net) said:
> > If someone could please take a look at the devel branch of libifp in
> > Extras and see if it's okay wrt the new udev it would be much
> > appreciated, thanks.
>
> It looks sane to me; I don't have the hardware to test it.

Thanks for checking. I'd say it's likely to work about as well as
gPhoto, that's where I snatched the scripts... ;) (At least it works on
FC4 as the package is now, I have tested with hardware. Of course,
devices may be missing in the mapping file so it may not work
universally.)

OK, on a more serious note, what actually drives the scripts there is
the /etc/hotplug/usb.agent, which maps devices to hotplug actions using
the various helper files (including those in /etc/hotplug/usb). Is this
still the preferred way to go about adding some custom device
initialization on hotplug?

I should perhaps note that just like the cameras accessed through
gPhoto, the music players we're talking about here are not USB mass
storage devices, they're generally accessed through userspace programs
using libusb. Thus we're not interested in making device nodes in /dev
or so, the only thing the script is supposed to do is to set up the
correct access permissions on the relevant /proc/bus/usb/* node.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University