/usr and /usr/local

Foster, Gareth gareth.foster at siemens.com
Fri Jul 15 12:58:29 UTC 2005

Hello list,

I have been working on porting my wallpaper tray program to the gnome panel
(from the notification area), and I have hit a snag with Fedora.

I have to configure my program as follows:

./configure --prefix="/usr"

The default is /usr/local, and this results in my panel applet not being
available from the menu. Now, I am trying to add a gconf schema (I think not
having one was causing bugs), and the schema is ending up getting installed
to /usr/etc which is clearly wrong.

Apparently I don't have to configure like this on other distros, so what can
I do to get around the problem?

Regards,

Gaz