No more right click terminal

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Fri Jul 15 16:00:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 01:00:56PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> It's not about making them harder to access; it's simply removing things
> that are only useful for developers and system administrators from the
> core desktop.  Historically a large part of GNOME's audience was
> developers and system administrators, because that was the vast majority
> of the Linux user audience, but the point is we want to change that.

No, you want to change GNOME to fit for a stereotype of "non-developer,
non-admin" who you THINK is totally scared by a command line prompt.

Really, nowadays I have no real time anymore to develop software, nor to
waste my time with tuning and fiddling with system administration. My
servers, desktops and laptop are TOOLS to work on OTHER stuff. I just
want them to work. And guess what, I _NEVER_ ever use this whole
graphic filesystem browser (nautilus it's called IIRC). Before someone
even clicked thru the hierarchy, I've already _completed_ the whole task
in the shell.

Stop designing for the average windows dumbed-down user. KDE already
does this. We need good alternatives, no "just another Windows, with
another name".

> Think of it this way: what if GNOME's historical audience had been
> musicians?  Then the right click menu might have had
> "Open Musical Score Composer".  Having that makes as much sense to the
> general population as "Open Terminal" does.

Wrong. The shell is integral with doing file system operations (and
frankly, this is NOT just admin/developer task) in a very effective and
quick way.

> With respect to the interface changing; that's true, but it seems to me
> that the GNOME/Fedora interface has been changing substantially in other
> ways (e.g. panel revamp from FC2->FC3) that the "Open Terminal" is just
> a relatively small part of it.

Given that you now see "revolt", perhaps start thinking about the
possibility that the other stuff didn't affect most users that much.

Might it be possible that your picture of the user is wrong? Could you
accept the idea that a typical user uses 100 times more often the "Open
Terminal" than ANY of the panel menus?

Regards,
Daniel