No more right click terminal

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sat Jul 16 07:13:15 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 02:50 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> > All my experiences, without fail, has
> > shown that menu to be highly enjoyed by all users: from completely
> > clueless to advanced.
>
> Please, I know you miss the menu item, but do try to be at least
> moderately realistic.

It's not that I miss it that much -- I can maybe see some of the
arguments against it. I've got into this thread initially because
I felt people were told to take a hike.

Now, as for the "moderately realistic", you probably refer to my
statement that "completely clueless" users enjoyed it.

I wasn't kidding. I've installed FC3 on my g/f box. She is a _very_
non-technical user by any conceivable measure. However, she needed
access to a terminal day one, and now she always has one opened.

I understand the "this is a bug" idea (to a certain point), but
reality is harsh. It's going to take many years for this to change,
and removing a generally useful feature way before its time is not
helpful.

Please do not misunderstand me: I think the removal is a mistake,
but I don't think it's a huge deal. I wouldn't have maybe even
posted at all in this thread if it was for the barrage of comments
like "go tell someone who cares", "take a hike, you're not our user",
etc.

I think this defeats the very reason for having Fedora in the first
place (if I understood Michael Tieman correctly at FUDConf). And it
pains me to see this happen because I love Fedora. I really do.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.