No more right click terminal

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Sat Jul 16 15:07:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 03:32 +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 08:18:56PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > No one's advocating removing the commandline, it is definitely useful
> > for the people developing the applications.
>
> Then how about moving gnome-terminal, xterm etc. to Extras? As you say,
> if you have to use the shell it's a bug.

I didn't say that.  I said that if non-developers/non-sysadmins have to
use the terminal, it is a bug.

I use gnome-terminal constantly every day, because I am a software
developer.

>  And you also say Fedora isn't
> aimed at "power users / developers" (however that is defined).

Fedora is clearly aimed at developers.  I think we should be spending a
lot of time supporting them.  But Fedora is also our idea of what a
general purpose OS should be.  And our default desktop reflects that
general purpose.

One argument you could make is that we should include
nautilus-open-terminal in Core, and install it when you do a "Technical
Workstation" or whatever that install is called.  I doubt you'd find
many objections to that.

>  So
> logical consequence is that it shouldn't get installed by default,

I don't think that's a logical consequence; personally I don't think
it'd be unreasonable for it not to be installed by default when you do a
Personal Desktop install, but I'm not in charge of the menus.

>  and
> move to Extras.

That definitely doesn't make much sense.

> And if USERS feel the urge to use the command line, they should file
> bugzilla bugs. A no wait, they should go to... uhm... whomever they
> think that should provide a colorful mousable alternative to whatever
> they just wanted to to efficiently with a shell.

Nope...not at all what I said.

I do hope that Fedora users who also have programming skills will
understand that not all users can accomplish "everyday" tasks like
wireless network configuration with a terminal, and help out with our
goal to write programs or fix bugs in existing ones to make stuff work.