No more right click terminal

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Sun Jul 17 02:41:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 13:26 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> All you do is drop files you want accessible publicly into your ~/Public
> folder, and everyone else on the local area network can see them when
> you go to "Computer->Network".  No need to know about IP addresses, ssh,
> servers, etc.  Now if you're not on the same local network it won't
> work, but if you are it can replace ssh/sftp/ftp in a much much better
> way.

Er, what protocol does this use to share?  What authentication methods
are there?  What ports does it use?  Why would there suddenly be a
publicly viewable folder WITHIN MY HOME DIR?!

I strongly object this EVER making it into core without some
administrative method of restricting access or the ability to 'turn it
off'.  Heck, I'd rather not see it there period.  User workstations are
not for sharing files.  A file server is designed and useful for that.
The sysadmin in my shudders w/ terror.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)