No more right click terminal

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 23:05:01 UTC 2005

On 7/16/05, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 13:26 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > All you do is drop files you want accessible publicly into your ~/Public
> > folder, and everyone else on the local area network can see them when
> > you go to "Computer->Network".  No need to know about IP addresses, ssh,
> > servers, etc.  Now if you're not on the same local network it won't
> > work, but if you are it can replace ssh/sftp/ftp in a much much better
> > way.
> >

> I strongly object this EVER making it into core without some
> administrative method of restricting access or the ability to 'turn it
> off'.

Well, as Colin mentioned, it's not even in Extras yet let alone Core,
and "turning it off" is as easy as not installing it or "yum remove
gnome-user-share" if it's already installed (I highly doubt something
like this -- if it ever made it into Core (which I doubt) -- would
ever be installed and turned on by default, right Colin?)

> User workstations are
> not for sharing files.  A file server is designed and useful for that.
> The sysadmin in my shudders w/ terror.

Sure, in a corporate environment with a file server, this is probably
not something you'd want to deploy (but then again, maybe you would,
we scp things back and forth all the time at work...), but in a 2- or
3- machine home environment, this might be just the ticket.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves