system-config-sshd ?

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Sun Jul 17 03:57:37 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been a Fedora user since FC1, and now I'd like to contribute to
>> the project. I know some Python, but no GUI (as yet). My more tested
>> programming skills lie is pascal and delphi. I am interested in building
>> a cnfiguration tool for sshd to help me learn the python language
>> better, and also to contribute to the fedora project. But I need some
>> help:
>>
>> Knowledge - HOWTOs, tutorial, whitepapers, etc that I need to read to
>> properly write a system-config applicat ion
>> Rules - Standards,  and guidelines that I shoudl follow
>> Technologies - gui toolkits, modules, etc that I should stick to in
>> learning and building a system-config tool.
>>
> cvs.fedora.redhat.com and system-config* srpms has all the code
> necessary to give you an idea on how these tools work. That would a
> good starting point. It would be nice if you can explain what you have
> planned for system-config-sshd.
>
> regards
> Rahul

Thanks for at least replying. I was beginning to ponder whether my mail
had actually reached the other list members.

Well my understanding is that the system-config tools are written in
python and use the gtk toolkit. As much as I wanted my frst gui app to
be in Qt, since GTK+ is the quasi standard, I have no problem in that.

My idea thus far is to build a dictionary of objects from the
sshd_config each object would represet a configuration option (some what
simplified explanation).

I have invisioned the UI as a basic tab oriented design, with the
following tabs:

ACCESS CONTROL
AUTHENTICATIONSECURITY
TCP/IP
X SERVER
GENERAL

Of course I would use the best widgets based on the type of data the
config option is expecting (boolean, string, file path, single option
list, multipel option list, sequential integers, time). So far it looks
like a majority of the config options can be satisfied with a checkbox.
I'm also considering defining a class for each of the afforementioned
data types.

I also hope to make each option's object hold a property called
'description' which would store the explainations given at
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=sshd_config or at least a
link to view it from a less memory consuming location (maybe an xml file).

Program would also do backups of config file for the sake of regression.

Thats what I have in mind for now.

Feel free to comment and suggest critically.

BTW: forgive my ignorance, but I only know how to get binary packages
with yum, how can I use yum to get src rpms? Or must I download them the
old fashion way?