No more right click terminal

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sun Jul 17 22:17:21 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>Le samedi 16 juillet 2005 à 11:12 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
>

>>On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 03:13 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
>>

>>>and removing a generally useful feature way before its time is not
>>>helpful.
>>>

>>The terminal is still available.  From half of the responses on this
>>thread you'd think it'd been removed entirely.
>>

>It's been moved in menu-land.
>I'd say at least 80% of terminal uses by non-tech users is to avoid
>dealing with menu-land shifting sands, its continual icon remapping and
>menu entry renaming.

That would be a good thing to avoid as much as possible but the value of
it is sometimes more than the cost.

>If I need evo I know I can open a term and type evolution. This had been
>true for several years. Can you say the same about evo gui access ?

Alt+f2 and evolution has been true for several years too but you cant
seriously argue that typing in GUI applications from the terminal is
actually the right approach for end users and the one that we need to
optimize for

>You can verify it any
>day by taking over a windows user desktop and reordering the menu and
>root window. Users don't care if it's a mess as long as it's the mess
>they're used to.

Windows does reorganise its menu over revisions. I do agree GNOME seems
to be doing it a a bit more. I think settling down on one idea and
retaining that over a longer period of time is a good thing too

regards
Rahul