No more right click terminal

Sun Jul 17 23:05:54 UTC 2005

Le dimanche 17 juillet 2005 à 18:59 -0400, Alan Cox a écrit :
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:50:41AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > So what ? They're still closer by an order of magnitude to classical
> > text apps than to a GUI in the Gnome sense.
>
> You need to understand why. If you look at UI research you will see that there
> are two distinct kinds of interface at work here. The first is one which you
> are highly familiar with (eg the checkout). Prompts, guidelines and help are
> buried away in case you forget a detail so that performance is maximised. You
> carry the 'conceptual map' in your head.
>
> The other that GUI's more normally reflect is casual use devices. You don't
> remember the precise operation but instead the menus and icons on screen guide
> you by prompting memories or links with previous experiences or related things
> that are not immediately conciously present.
>
> A trained operator can happily look up tickets for flights by typing something
> like "LHR>>>YYZ>>>S#" because they do it every day. Its a very different
> interface design goal

Thank you for the explanation. I do understand it. That's why I wrote
the difference was not between technical and non-technical tasks but
between repetitive and non-repetitive (but your message will be better
received than mine I'm sure)

And an awful lot of people that use computers for work not to
chat/play/discover casually their tool fall in the repetitive category.
They're not a technical elite minority. It's a mistake to design an
interface that purposefully ignores their needs.

--
Nicolas Mailhot