gnome-user-share

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jul 18 12:20:14 UTC 2005

On Lun 18 juillet 2005 14:03, dragoran wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 07:59 +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
>>

>>>Is this folder mandatory, or is the path something you may choose?
>>>It's just because it is unnecessary clutter imposed in the Desktop (when
>>>Desktop == $HOME), and would probably be better suited at some other
>>>place like Documents/Public or whatever.
>>>

>>Um... is the Desktop == $HOME in future releases?  I rather like
>>Desktop/ being it's own directory.  This follows suite from Apple OS X
>>and Windows so it is less confusing for new people.  Also I keep a lot
>>of stuff in the root of my home dir, I don't want these displayed on my
>>desktop.
>>

> no please leave it as it is now Desktop = $HOME would result in to many
> icons on the Desktop for many users.

That's no reason to pollute the $HOME space for people that do use $HOME
as desktop today.

$HOME != desktop is nothing but an hack to avoid having to clean up all
the legacy apps that put random files here. It's not a license to
perpetuate the mess in new Gnome facilities. New apps $HOME usage should
set the example so $HOME can be reappropriated in the future.

--
Nicolas Mailhot