How much is known about -Os on X86_64?

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Tue Jul 26 14:09:45 UTC 2005

I have a few questions.  How much work has been done to benchmark the
advantages/disadvantages of using -Os for various FC packages on
X86_64?  I know that on x86 -Os is used fort he kernel.  On X86_64, it
looks to me like -Os is not used.  In fact, it seems that I read
somewhere that one should not use -Os on X86_64, or shouldn't use it on
the kernel, or shouldn't use it in FC4, or something like that and I
can't seem to relocate that reference.  Anyone know anything about that?

Also, how useful would it be if  did some real world benchmarking on my
Athlon64 2800+ system running FC4/X86_64?  Would I be wasting my time,
duplicating someone else's previous efforts?  What packages might
benefit?  Is it possible that compilintg the whole distro -Os might be a
win? (Intuitively, it seems that everything being a little smaller could
have a cummulative effect on the speed of the whole system, saving disk
reads, main memory, cache memory, etc.)

I'm no expert at this stuff, so I figured asking on the list before I do
much work would be a good idea.  Searches of the archives don't seem to
turn up much except that "-Os can sometimes help".

So far, I've just played around a little bit with bzip2.  -Os seems to
be a pretty good win for bzip2 compression, giving over about a 12%
improvement.

Thank you for any input.

-Steve Bergman