Rawhide updates & Fonts

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Jul 27 23:28:51 UTC 2005

> > > Well with fontconfig-2.3.2-1 OTOH rendering changed drastically
> >
> > How?
> >
> > I expect no changes from that.
> >
> > On the other hand, once we get the next set of Cairo/Pango/GTK+ changes
> > into the tree, rendering *will* change drastically ... in theory,
> > it will be identical to FC4 at that point.
>
> Lines seem thinner, character spacing is degraded (some of them touch
> when they didn't before). I'm sorry I can't be more specific, my eyes
> are adapting and I don't have a pre-update control system to compare (so
> I must try to remember a pre-yesterday system) but the changes were very
> noticeable just after the rawhide sync. At least in evo, so maybe it's
> evo-specific, but I seem to remember the Gnome panel changing too.

Ah, 20-20 hindsight is always so frustrating.

(and I know that we could just reinstall all the bits and pieces from
before this change, but....)

I'm beginning to wonder (now) whether it wouldn't have been a good idea
to have told people that changes were going to be made to the font
rendering system and in an attempt to make sure things 'look' right in
the future, could people take a screen shot of various applications they
use regularly so that there is actually something to compare 'now' and
'then'.

No real chance of doing it this time (unless people are willing to
reinstall or downgrade (would that even work?)) but might be worth
noting for next time (as I'm sure there will be a next time).

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"