Yesterday's rawhide sunk my iBook

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:11:05 UTC 2005

On 7/28/05, Ralf Ertzinger <fedora at camperquake.de> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
>
> > I just updated the Pegasos II box to rawhide, and it seems to be working
> > fine here. My first suspicion would be a failure to upgrade glibc
> > correctly.
>
> I have gotten the system up with a FC4-Install-CD, and there is some confusion
> in the package db indeed. For example, I have currently 2 glibc packages
> installed.

If you have 2 versions installed.. and the latest version was an
upgrade attempt via yum.. it sounds like there was a problem that
prevented the cleanup portion of the rpm transaction from completing
correctly. Was this an automated run of yum while you were afk.. or
did you happen to watch the output scroll? If there is a scriptlet
error or some other type of problem that rpm notices, there might be a
message to stdout or stderr. The error messages rpm throws don't show
up in the yum log however so you'd need the actually stdout and stderr
for the yum session you ran.

You might want to look for other duplicate packages which might have
also failed to cleanup correctly.

alias dupes='rpm -aq --queryformat "%{NAME}\n" | sort | uniq -c | grep

-jef