Yesterday's rawhide sunk my iBook

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:42:52 UTC 2005

On 7/28/05, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> I see this kind of thing quite often. It doesn't help that yum will
> often leave quite a lot of time between installing the new version of a
> given package and uninstalling the old one.

A lot of time... would mean you are doing a lot of updates.  You'd
rather yum do  install/clean up  one package at a time?  I think that
leads to a whole other nest of problems. I don't even think cli rpm
does updates that way when you give it a big list of packages to
update.

I'm personally more concerned about rpm learning how to pass messages
back through its python bindings so yum and other tools can actually
log rpm level messages.. instead of having to screenscrape to know
what rpm was spitting out to stdout and stderr. I'm pretty sure
scriptlet failures have to be screenscraped as well as messages of
rpmnew and rpmsave files.

-jef