What next?

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Wed Jun 1 22:53:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 06:31:21PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 03:26:54PM -0700, Denis Leroy wrote:
>  > >Maybe it's time to start the brainstorming for Fedora Core 5 and Fedora
>  > >Extras 5 - what major features are you willing to put effort into?
>  > I'd like to see better laptop support, in particular some sort of
>  > Profile support as well as better wireless support.
>
> Profiles: Isn't this the aim of sabayon (sp?)
> Better wireless support: The upstream drivers are slowly starting
> to converge to a point of sanity. Ie, a common ieee80211 core
> which drivers share, rather than implementing their own variants
> of in each driver with different userspace semantics. So FC5 will
> get better through this work, but it probably won't be 'perfect'
> for quite a while just due to the sheer volume of work needed
> to be done to fix up some of the mess in that part of the kernel.

BTW, on a related matter I had trouble getting my laptop's prism54
card working when trying FC4T3 on it. As usual, I had to install,
then throw the binary firmware into /lib/firmware and then I _would_
have expected the card to "just work" on insertion. But it didn't.
I had to play around to get it recognized at all. First, the system
just ignored the card on insert for whatever reason.

Can someone tell me how this is _supposed_ to work? Having to install
the binary myself is bad enough (yes, I know the politics around this
so I won't start a debate over that *g*), but I'd expect it to work
then... am I asking too much?

Best regards,
Daniel