Packaging idea (Re: What next?)

Konstantin Ryabitsev mricon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 04:16:47 UTC 2005

On 6/1/05, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you honestly saying... that working with other people.. inside the
> Extras policy space is MORE trouble.. then creating yet another layer
> of technical complexity.. that other people will have to help you
> completely implement in other user-facing parts of the operating
> system?

(correcting gmail's moronic reply handling)

Well, there isn't much added technical complexity here. This is more
or less a glorified "download a .repo file for your distribution and
put it in your /etc/yum.repos.d" directory with a Nautilus plugin. And
yes, I'm pretty sure a lot of people will not bother with Extras, if
only because:

a. They don't care to jump through all the hoops involved.
b. They don't want to bind themselves with any sort of a contract with Red Hat.
c. Their software is licensed so that it cannot be put in Extras.

--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Zlotniks, INC

"Выслухаў мядзьведзь казку і адарваў сабе хвост."