What next?

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Thu Jun 2 20:10:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:28:21 -0400, Ed Hill wrote:
> So when you've thrown out updates and completely eliminated any intra-
> package dependencies, whats left?  Nothing but a hollow GUI wrapper over
> yet-another brain-dead application of /opt/${PACKAGE}.

No, not at all. Read the links I posted, in particular the one about
porting Linux apps. There are bits of magic here:

 - LaunchServices
 - Framework/bundle linking
 - Internet enabled DMGs

Anyway, I'm not suggesting we implement appfolders like Apple did. We can
do better (and don't have much choice anyway). See here:

  http://autopackage.org/ui-vision.html

That describes how to implement a Mac style UI on top of Linux style
package management.