What next?

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 21:02:15 UTC 2005

I'd be willing to maintain an diff archive for FC4. I need to update
the software to use deltarpm by Michael Schroeder: this is an
excellent piece of software that allows binary patches to be applied
without having to keep the RPMs lying around (it computes deltas on a
file by file basis, ignoring config files which are likely to change).
There is one (minor) thing I don't like about deltarpm: the algorithm
(while good) is hard coded into the format. It would be nice if the
delta format allowed different algorithms to be used. Perhaps using
VCDIFF
(RFC 3284 - The VCDIFF Generic Differencing and Compression Data Format).

Regarding the archive: I don't have a suitable FTP server. I estimate
a max of about 1GB
of storage would be needed.

Joe.