Zeroconf in FC5?

Daryll Strauss daryll.strauss at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 02:36:33 UTC 2005

I saw zeroconf in action at a Mac based facility a while back and I have
to say I was impressed. It makes their networking setup very easy. The
biggest downside was that they knew very little about how their network
actually worked. That made my life integrating a Linux system in to
their environment much more difficult. So, I'd like to see zeroconf
really integrated in to FC5. I think it'll make network setup for a lot
of users much easier.

For those who don't know, zeroconf provides several functions:

	*) Dynamically allocating an IP address to a system when it boots
(without requiring a DHCP server)
	*) Translate between names and IP addresses (without any setup or
directory server)
	*) Allows for the publishing and discovery of services such as DNS,
NFS, ftp, http, printers, whatever (without requiring any setup or
directory server)
	*) Allocates multicast addresses (without a MADCAP server). (This part
isn't yet supported and I'm not sure I know what it means :))

Fedora ships with Howl which looks to be the framework for doing
zeroconf. It seems that what's needed is integrating howl in to all the
appropriate places.

						- |Daryll