google summer of code

ness e_mc_h2 at web.de
Fri Jun 3 14:23:32 UTC 2005

Nils Philippsen wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 14:19 +0200, ness wrote:
>

>>I'm not actually using fredora, but I want to be active at the 'google
>>summer of code'. I've got a strange idea for a project, and I think a
>>distribution is the best organization to call. My project has not
>>directly sth. to do with fredora, it's more 'distribution independ'.
>>Would fredora like to be to mentoring organization for such a project?
>>If so, I'd be happy to tell you more about my project.
>>

>Chicken and egg problem here, people probably can't answer unless they
>know more about your proposal.
>
>Nils

OK, if I understand you right, I shall tell more about my project. My
first question was wether fredora would mentor a project not directly
connected to the fredora distribution. But more about my proposal:
The idea is an udev based authentication using an usb-stick. This means
following: I put the stick into the pc, then, if a loginmanger is
started, it will automaticly open a graphical session. If not, a shell
based session will start. I think I could add interesting expands to
that, such as automaticly open encrypted devices... I'd realize this
(means: writing patches for common dm, write the udev rule and so on)
and write config tools. If you want, I sent you a complete spec of what
I'd be going to do.